How do you spend your first birthday in Panama?
- Wake up to an email box overflowing with Facebook greetings, ecards, and messages. Even my Italian teacher from a couple years ago sent me good wishes. I think the best surprise was from my old office. They all gathered together for a photo and posted it on Facebook. I worked with some great people, and seeing all my old friends put a big smile on my face. You don’t always think about how many friends you have until they all write to you on the same day!
- Go check the yard. Things are looking good. Take pictures of a little spider on the table, which was a little challenging because he kept jumping on the camera.
- See more of those mysterious birds in the trees.
- Meet your new blogging friends from Boquete who were doing errands in David. Go for a walk in the woods by the house.
- See another poison dart frog.
- Go out for a really nice lunch with our friends.
- Go to the fish market with our friends and find them fully stocked with all kinds of yummy fish.
- Come home to more messages from well wishing friends.
- Watch the spider from the “curves” photo challenge build a new web and stash insects in the lampshade.
- Go to the river! Take photos of everything.
- Answer the doorbell because my friend and neighbor came to wish me a happy birthday. Find out the name of those birds I couldn’t identify. Find out that the car tag that says July 2012 doesn’t expire until July 2013. Find out that her husband would be happy to check our brake that is squeaking.
- Take a warm shower with my best friend. I rarely use the hot water but it started raining, and the cool air coming through the window really cooled me off. A warm shower felt really nice. The best friend was the best part 🙂
- Cook the fish from the fish market and a head of broccoli. Watch a DVD of Boston Legal while eating dinner and drinking a Balboa beer. Have fresh, sweet pineapple for dessert.
- Talk with both of my daughters on Skype – at the same time! My younger daughter and her husband are visiting my older daughter. The baby is growing like a weed. He who was 6 1/2 pounds is now close to 10 pounds! Demand that they post more pictures of the baby.
- Watch a little more TV, and then come back to the desk to answer blog comments, emails, and birthday greetings.
- Start working on a blog post until husband yells MOVE YOUR FEET!!!! Look down to see a scorpion between my feet. Move back quickly. Stop husband from killing it. Take photos and videos. Put scorpion in a jar.
Joel’s video –
- Make a stiff drink. Apologize to the desk lamp spider for grabbing the lamp and ruining his web. Resume writing the blog post and reviewing associated photos.
- Read some blog posts until sleepy enough to go to bed. Shake out the sheets before climbing into bed!
I’d say that all in all, it was an excellent birthday. And, don’t forget the birthday rule: However many years you are old, you can celebrate for that many days on either side of your birthday. So, let the fun continue!
El alacrán – my new word of the day (scorpion)