I asked him to clean the bathroom…

I wrote a post not long ago about Panamanian home construction, and how everything is concrete and tile so it’s not damaged by water.

We bought this water blaster not long ago to clean the roof before painting, and anything else that needs a good cleaning, like the driveway.

But, the bathroom??

CleanTheBathroom

As it turns out, this works wonderfully well! There really is nothing in there that will be damaged by water. It cleans the grout, all those out of the way places that are hard to get to, and does it in a minimum of time. Afterwards, broom and squeegee the excess water to the shower drain and you’re done. It worked so well I went ahead and cleaned the other bathroom also. Our bathrooms have never looked so good 😀

This entry was posted in Panama and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to I asked him to clean the bathroom…

1. Jerry says:

How cool is this gadget? May we borrow it for awhile??

2. tombseekers says:

What a great idea. Since the “grout” in our house is really the stuff they put under the tile, it would take a pressure cleaner to actually clean it.

• Really? Most of the grout still looks brown and I don’t think it will ever look good. This would explain it! But, at least we know it’s clean now. You can do a lot of interesting and beautiful things with concrete so if it was up to me, I’d never pay for tile in a house. The grout never looks good after a while unless it’s a dark color.

• Robert & Helen Berding says:

Put first vinegar on the grout. Let it rest for 15 minutes and then blast it. If you have a drive way or gravel path with weet etc. just sprinkle household salt on it and spray it with water. No problems anymore for at least 6 months.

• Really?! I’ll have to try both of these. Thanks 🙂

• Capt Dan says:

I respectfully disagree. Just plain old bleach will kill any and all mold and make most things in the tropics as good as new. Spray a 25% bleach – 75% water solution on anything and then pressure clean. A pressure cleaner is a unique tool than can do things that are impossible to do in any other way. I love mine!

• Bleach is my cleaner of choice and it hasn’t done anything for the appearance of the grout, so I think like tombseekers said, it’s not really grout. But I agree, it seems to take care of pretty much anything else that has mold. If we’re worried about bleach, like on leather, we use vinegar.

3. sunnymikkel says:

So where did he get those “cool” pants?

4. He does what a man’s gotta do … He will kill them all … 😀

Microbes, bacteria, mold spores …

5. Kathy says:

Where did you buy it? and what is the brand? I’m really in need of doing this in my house. Thank you.

• David, at the DoIt Center. It’s a Jet Mate, $130 on sale (usually $160) It seems to work very well. They also have smaller ones that aren’t as powerful but Joel wanted something that would do whatever he asked of it.

Ooh, we have a pressure washer. Never thought about using it for the inside although it has worked wonderfully as getting the algae off of everything outside. Seems odd to use water to remove what water has caused doesn’t it? 🙂

7. Anonymous says:

And in addition an electric leaf blower is great for ” sweeping ” out the house, just open the doors and away goes the stuff ! LOL

• Yep, I could him doing that

• kjnemaric says:

My husband would be the first one to clean the bathroom with a pressure washer. Too bad homes in the U.S. don’t come with bathroom floor (or kitchen floor) drains! Next house – yes! But leaf blower? Bad idea. Hubby did that to “dust” the decorative (or structural?) beams in our house that are up near the tops of our 14-ft ceilings. You know, the sort of places someone would put plants or whatever. OMG! Dust settled on everything in sight. He will NOT be allowed to have a leaf blower in the house except for blowing through the dryer to blow out the vent.

• LOL I can just see it! I know it’s funny now but I’m sure it wasn’t a bit funny when you were cleaning up after him. Thankfully we don’t have a leaf blower. I don’t like their noise, not to mention the dust on everything effect so there will be no leaf blowers in this house either.
          The bathrooms here – the showers are lower than the rest of the floor so it’s easy to push all the water into the shower drain. We could push water out of the kitchen and out the back door, but there’s just too much stuff to move out of the way so it wouldn’t be worth it.

8. roaed says:

An electrick leaf blower really makes short work of ” sweeping ” out the house, just open the doors and blow it away!

9. Kathy says:

Thanks for the info Kris.

10. Capt Dan says:

If you spray bleach on any of these – grout – problems, just like folks in Sarasota do, the mold will simply go away. Ditto for your roof.

• Bleach is a wonderful thing! I clean everything with bleach and soap because of the humidity and mold. I think toomseekers is right though. It isn’t really grout, but mortar which is why it never looks quite right. There is grout in the showers which cleans up well, but not in the rest of the house.

• Capt Dan says:

OK, then learn to live with it and love it, or grout it out! Grout over all the offensive cracks and spaces. It’s cheap, but labor intensive. But, hey, you’ve got Joel! Does he make house calls?

• It’s a rental, so it’s a matter of how many hours do we want to put in on someone else’s property. Right now this doesn’t bug us enough but tomorrow, who knows? But Joel might have better things to do, like make house calls and see what other projects he can get into 😉