Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways

Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways

The instructions are: For this challenge, capture two images — a horizontal and a vertical version — of the same scene or subject. There are no concrete “rules” here, but a) it should be evident that both shots are of the same place/location or person/thing, and b) your photographs should ideally have been taken during the same shoot

I am visiting my daughter in Seattle, WA. We went to Bellevue yesterday afternoon, and I found the reflections in the glass covered buildings very interesting.

I think I prefer the landscape shot because it shows more buildings and more reflections, but the portrait orientation does focus more on the one building and the dramatic reflection in the center of it.

I’m happy with both of these. I think it makes a difference when you look at photos on the computer where the screen is a landscape orientation. I think if the photos were printed and hung on the wall it would give them more equal footing. Then the portrait orientation would be better at showing the height of the building.

I think I like the portrait orientation has less distractions. My main interest was the reflections, especially the black and white building in the center and the portrait orientation focuses on this more effectively.

This has been an interesting photo challenge. I almost always use the landscape orientation because it works better on a computer screen. Maybe I should break away from this habit more often.

This entry was posted in photography, travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways

1. Angeline M says:

It’s interesting how some photos just display better as landscape and other as portraits. I love all of your entries here.
    Thanks for the pingback, too!

2. viveka says:

Thanks for the plingback … Wow – this is fantastic shots .. love the reflections in the buildings – I tried to catch that when visiting Chicago … not an easy job. Brilliant choice for the challenge and great photos. I did two post for this weeks .. challenge – naught me .. hope you want to have a look at my other one too.

Thanks! I think I really got lucky with all those glass buildings. I haven’t seen an opportunity like that anywhere else either. Thanks for the tip on your blog too. I love your photos of the Eiffel Tower! The second one is especially interesting with all the details of the metal work.

• viveka says:

Thank you very much – yes, I love that photo … I was lucky because the sun was bothering me and I became a bit dizzy from standing looking straight up.
        Your photos are really great – one I have manage to get right from all the ones I took in Chicago through my visits.

I think if you keep taking photos you’ll get more and more that you like. There are so many of mine that get deleted immediately, and a lot more that I’d never post. And, even of the decent ones there aren’t many that I’m really happy with. But, when you get that one good one, it’s exciting!

• viveka says:

Yes, that is what I’m doing … out all my photos … maybe so much as 40% will be deleted – and it’s just like you’re saying .. the more photos we take the better team will we become with our camera.

3. Diiana Busby says:

Thanks for highlighting my post in this challenge. I’ll be sure to return the favor in the future.