Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic

Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic

The directions are: “IN A NEW POST CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS CHALLENGE, SHARE A PICTURE THAT MAKES YOU NOSTALGIC.”

I’ve been thinking about this for days. There is very little of my past that makes me look back wistfully. I’m much more interested in looking forward. My friend Lisa at Zeebra Designs thought I should go from that angle, but I’m having as hard a time taking pictures of the future as looking in the past.

But, there is one thing in my recent past that gave me a lot of pleasure – my water lily pond! I think there will be more ponds in my future but for now, I am taking this as a great excuse to share some of my old photos.

This entry was posted in gardening, photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic

1. RituKT says:

Beautiful collection you have there. The closeup shot of water lilies is truly amazing. Thanks for the pingback.
    If you like participating in photo challenges, i’m hosting one this month, check out my blog!

2. Angeline M says:

The water lilies are gorgeous!
    Thanks for the pingback.

3. So, so beautiful. That first shot is stunning, fresh and watery and sparkly in a grown-up champagne kind of way. Thanks for these!

I can see how you would be nostalgic about your water garden Kris. Great photo. We don’t have too many water lily ponds where I come from, too cold in the winter and they are a lot of work. My friend did start one and it turned into more of a river with lots of rocks and a small circulating pump. Do you think you’ll build another pond one day? They do well here.

Yes, we have our eye on a lot where we could build what we want, and include a pond. I even know someone who would give me water lily starts. Our pond in FL was actually very little work, no pumps, self sustaining. I’d go in once or twice a year when it got too overgrown and clean it out, and that was about it.

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Denis Danze Photographe Freelance

6. oldsalt1942 says:

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

7. Rob says:

In my former neighborhood, water lily ponds would be attacked by some sort of bird – like a crane or heron – because there were fish in the ponds. Then the owners had to put chicken wire over their ponds, which took away from the beauty of the flowers and the water. Did you have fish?

Beautiful water lilies 🙂

Yep, we had egrets and blue herons, which are big enough to be quite impressive when they are standing right outside your window! I stocked the ponds with cheap goldfish so if they got eaten it wasn’t too much of a loss. I ended up digging the shallower pond 4+ feet deep in the center so the fish could go deep enough to escape the birds. I also tried to provide plenty of plant cover and underwater houses where they could hide (old flower pots with holes cut in the sides, old piece of tile on top to hold it down, and a potted plant sitting on the tile) I could always tell when a bird had visited though because I wouldn’t see the fish for days. Once in a while I had to restock the pond but generally they grew and prospered enough to keep ahead of the birds.

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic | Ryan Photography