Macho de Monte, revisited

Today we went to Macho de Monte, near Cuesta de Piedra, with our friends Holly and Scott. This was our second visit and I was happy to go back to this amazing place.

We met in Dolega which is an experience in itself. They are working very hard on the road from David to Boquete, hoping it will be finished by August. There is construction everywhere and detours through little back roads. Today, one of the back road detours was being repaved as well.  The extra traffic is probably tearing it up too much.

We finally made it to our meeting spot and headed out on our adventure. Just getting there is an adventure itself along the steep and winding roads,  through orange groves and gorgeous mountain scenery! I was driving so there was no picture taking, but I have some from our previous trip.

We arrived at our destination and started across the street to the upper part where you can look down into the canyon.

This is a short video that Joel took from above the canyon where we were walking.

Next, we headed to the other side to scramble down a sandy hill, over boulders and rocks, to the beginning of the canyon.

Here’s another short video by Joel. The water is so loud you have to be close to someone to hear them.

Today we saw a few other people visiting the area. We also saw some bicyclists come by as we stood by the bridge and talked. I can’t imagine how strong they must be to ride there! I had to downshift the car into 2nd gear, and even 1st occasionally to make it up those hills.

This is such a beautiful country, and such a beautiful area. I wrote more about it after our first visit to Macho de Monte, so check THIS LINK. Our friend Ryan, who is younger and more daring than we are, went over the waterfalls and into the canyon. Check out his videos HERE and HERE.

This entry was posted in Panama, travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Macho de Monte, revisited

1. What incredible pictures, and sharp eyes, to spot the frog! I will put this on our list of hikes to take in the future — thanks for sharing it.

It’s was Joel’s sharp eyes that spotted the frog. I would definitely recommend visiting this place, and then drive east from there for an amazing trip through the mountains. Check my first blog post (the link is at the end of this post) for directions and photos of what you are looking for. It’s easy to drive on by without spotting it.

What a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

3. wow, that’s a lonnnnnnnnnnng drop! it’s beautiful!

you four must be having a great time!

4. Rob says:

The canyon and the water – the whole area – looks so amazingly beautiful!

on your first visit you posted you were going to bring ropes to go over the waterfall and then climb back up. I can see why you left that to Ryan 🙂

Honestly, the way you described the drive there sounded a little frightening. I’m not a fan of steep roads, whether going up or going down; especially when they are winding with steep drops on the sides.

We did bring a rope, and then decided to be sensible and not go into the water. But I haven’t totally given up on the idea either. It would be amazing to go down in that canyon.
      You probably wouldn’t like the drive from the east though. There aren’t steep drops on the sides, but it sure is winding with steep uphills and downhills. If you come from the west, from the road that goes to Volcan it’s much less of that.

5. Jerry Moellenkamp says:

Amazing pics and videos. You really should be working for the Chamber of Commerce, Dept. of tourism, or some other government agency. Or perhaps you should just write a book or start a Guide business :). Thanks for sharing — you make us want to drop everything and just get on the next plane :)))

Thank you! The trouble is though, now that I’m retired it’s about impossible to get me to consider anything that starts with “work” 😀
      Drop everything, get on the plane, call me when you get here! Seriously, you’ll be here very soon. And, I need to quit running around and answer that last email you sent me.

6. thelifeofababybuddha says:

Loved the photos and your videos. Something very soothing about the sounds of running water. Lisa 🙂

Thank you 🙂 I know what you mean. I love the water too. When you are close to the start of the canyon though, this is so loud it’s almost hard to talk over it. There is SO much water and so many waterfalls, it’s a lot of sound!

7. Gorgeous! Will you take us there someday? We’ve been to the David area 4 times now, and we never saw this canyon.

8. Maureen says:

How beautiful! Can a guy (my hubby) with a fake knee do this trek?

Maybe! He certainly could see it from above, from the bridge. Getting down to the beginning of the canyon involves going down a soft, sandy hill and then over the rocks and boulders. My knees aren’t good and I made it without much trouble. If he’s careful of his footing and doesn’t rush himself, I think he could do it too.

9. growing pains says:

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first
    comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

Oh bummer. I hate it when you work on something and it goes poof into cyberspace. Thanks for the kind comments about my blog. I’m not expert with advice, but I’d say just be yourself. Write about what is important to you, and keep writing.